Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Whoa Tiger!



As a woman, how do you handle having a FOOL for a husband???

The Bible answers this question thru the story of Abigail and Nabal in 1 Samuel 25. Abigail was married to a man named Nabal (which actually means 'fool'), who was rich and powerful just like Tiger. Nabal's ego was out of control and when David (yes, King David) asked him for help, he refused. David and his soldiers had been camping near Nabal's land and their presence had protected Nabal and his land from enemies. But when David asked Nabal for food in exchange for their protection Nabal refused.

“Who is this fellow David?” Nabal sneered to the young men. “Who does this son of Jesse think he is? There are lots of servants these days who run away from their masters.11 Should I take my bread and my water and my meat that I’ve slaughtered for my shearers and give it to a band of outlaws who come from who knows where?”
12 So David’s young men returned and told him what Nabal had said.13 “Get your swords!” was David’s reply as he strapped on his own.
1 Sam 25:10-13 (NLT)


David vowed to kill Nabal and the only thing that stopped him was Nabal's wife Abigail.

Abigail wasted no time. She quickly gathered 200 loaves of bread, two wineskins full of wine, five sheep that had been slaughtered, nearly a bushel of roasted grain, 100 clusters of raisins, and 200 fig cakes. She packed them on donkeys19 and said to her servants, “Go on ahead. I will follow you shortly.” But she didn’t tell her husband Nabal what she was doing.
When Abigail saw David, she quickly got off her donkey and bowed low before him.24 She fell at his feet and said, “I accept all blame in this matter, my lord. Please listen to what I have to say.25 I know Nabal is a wicked and ill-tempered man; please don’t pay any attention to him. He is a fool, just as his name suggests. But I never even saw the young men you sent.
26 “Now, my lord, as surely as the Lord lives and you yourself live, since the Lord has kept you from murdering and taking vengeance into your own hands, let all your enemies and those who try to harm you be as cursed as Nabal is.27 And here is a present that I, your servant, have brought to you and your young men.28 Please forgive me if I have offended you in any way. The Lord will surely reward you with a lasting dynasty, for you are fighting the Lord’s battles. And you have not done wrong throughout your entire life.
1 Sam 25:18-19 ,23-28 (NLT)

David decided NOT to kill Nabal because of Abigail's intercession. When Nabal heard that David was prepared to kill him he actually had a stroke! Nabal died and David actually married Abigail after that.

So what do you do when you have a FOOL for a husband? Take your cue from Abigail and pray, do the RIGHT thing, and let God handle the rest. God will protect and provide for you just like He protected and provided for Abigail.

No comments:

Post a Comment